Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Untitled... Off the Cuff

I don't really have a thought that I want to blog about today, I just feel frustrated by the game and my blog is a place that I can use to blast off on a rant and it wont cost me 3-4 buyins. Ive been talking to some friends whose opinion I value a lot about the game lately and have been really interested in what they had to say. I'm not going to go into the specifics of what we spoke about but I will say that I am eager to see the benefits/detriments of what we spoke about. In conversation it seems so simple but its the application that might prove taxing.

Ive spoke about how I need to log a load of hands for both Vegas and my monthly props and it really just proves to me how important it is to maximize your time. Its not that I have anything important to do that is taking me away from the tables, its more just that i waste a lot of time. There is no reason why I cant be playing 8-10 hour days but instead i play 4-5 and feel satisfied. I saw an interview on ESPN last night with Tim Tebow and it made me really question myself. Now I don't for a second claim to have a whole lot in common with Tebow but that in itself is the problem. He comes across as so motivated and determined to succeed. I think that I take the micro limits for granted, sure I win at a nice rate that many would like to emulate but all I am doing is wasting my time. I don't have the desire to move up the limits, I don't do session reviews anymore, in short I've stopped trying to improve. I should be at 200nl and winning, not at 50nl just twiddling my thumbs. I need to pull my fucking finger out of my ass and get moving.

Hopefully Vegas and being around a lot of people I respect will help. It could be the most important month of my poker career, or it could signal that maybe its time to move on to something else. Only time will tell, but I am going out there with a positive attitude and aim to improve 100% as a player in that short period of time.

I wont be posting hands too often in my blog but this one just made me laugh and made me realize what happens when you give a Russian a full stack. He is running 11/7 with a 5% 3bet with otherwise pretty normal, unimaginative stats.

Full Tilt Poker Game #20221123623: Table Node - $0.25/$0.50 - Pot Limit Hold'em - 12:54:32 ET - 2010/04/20
Seat 1: Steffe1991 ($50)
Seat 4: CaptainBekk ($32.25)
Seat 5: tinks797 ($56.55)
Seat 6: El Nino 1 ($50.35)
Seat 7: skimman ($81.90)
Seat 8: Fedorov AI ($50)
Seat 9: daehanminguk ($0), is sitting out
skimman posts the small blind of $0.25
Fedorov AI posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to El Nino 1 [Ks As]
CaptainBekk folds
tinks797 folds
El Nino 1 raises to $1.50
skimman calls $1.25
DURAN MESA18 sits down
Fedorov AI has 15 seconds left to act
Fedorov AI raises to $6
DURAN MESA18 adds $35
All Upinyerpu sits down
daehanminguk adds $35
All Upinyerpu adds $20
El Nino 1 has 15 seconds left to act
daehanminguk has returned
El Nino 1 raises to $18.50
skimman folds
Fedorov AI has 15 seconds left to act
daehanminguk has been disconnected
daehanminguk has reconnected
Fedorov AI raises to $50, and is all in
El Nino 1 calls $31.50
Fedorov AI shows [6s 4s]
El Nino 1 shows [Ks As]
*** FLOP *** [Tc 2s 3s]
*** TURN *** [Tc 2s 3s] [5h]
*** RIVER *** [Tc 2s 3s 5h] [8c]

Now maybe someone can tell me what he is thinking. I certainly cant argue with the 3bet squeeze as my fold to 3bet % is pretty high but when I elect to 4bet to $18, I really cant see where he thinks he is getting his fold equity from. Its like he chooses to compound the stupidity and just dump off $42 for no reason. The play didn't work my little Cossack, just fold and wait for a different spot.

On a brighter note, i played in the Pokersluts.org weekly tournament on Sunday evening and had a blast. They are hosted on Full Tilt, start at 9pm EST and have a $5 buy in. There is only a couple of tables and you will need the password to enter as its a private tournament (pw: imapokerslut) but it was a great laugh. They record a show to go along with each tournament and i certainly enjoyed every minute of it, despite not really knowing how to play some of the 7 game mix. Next Sunday is Razz and I encourage you if your looking for a laugh to take a look.

11 comments:

  1. Very well thought out G. There is little doubt in my mind -- if and when you decide to make your move -- you'll be highly successful in your rise up the limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your (donkey) friends are welcome to play anytime!

    We enjoyed having you play and chat with us.

    Hopefully we'll see you in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really suprised a 11/7 is 5bet shoving 64s into you. Maybe he "thought" his image is tight enough that you fold KK... but I think it comes down to the "full stacked Russian" part lol.

    Oh, and stopp being such a shy oyster and move finally up ;) Seriously, I am sure you can make the next step in your poker career if you want to make this step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nino, I'm probably going to catch hell for saying this, but I'll go ahead: Given a 11/7 / 5%, I think I'm folding AK in that spot. Weak or not, AK is a drawing hand and crazy tight Russian has given you a really polarized 5 bet shove. The only hand you're hoping he has in this spot is QQ or less. He's clearly not repping that. Perhaps you have history with him shoving AK, so that results in a call. Results-wise, good call; you get in as a 70/30 or something like that favorite, but I think you should be folding there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opinions always welcome Meister. My spot really to make a decision in my opinion is once he 3bets me. Once i 4bet AK i think that folding once i have 36% of my stack in is pretty bad. Going back to my decision to 4bet, 5% in Pokerstove looks like 99+,QKs+ AJs+. Now against that strict value range im a slight dog at 53/47 but then we add into the fact that it looks like a good spot for him to squeeze, plus the dead money that is in the pot not to mention when he turns up with random crap i think that its a pretty easy 4bet/call.
    If anyone wants to argue the merits of a fold though im open to listening

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess my question is more: What range are you putting an 11/7 5 bet shoving (with a 5% 3bet)? If you think 22-QQ is included in that range, then good call. You're no worse than 50%, right? But if you think (more reasonably, IMO) QQ, KK, AA which is much more acceptable for this type of play (without having any shoving hands on the guy prior), then you're a 33% dog. Maybe I'm too nitty, which is why I don't have your win rates, but I'm always being shown that range when this type of action is happening against my AK hands.

    One other question: Does your 5bet call change if you have AKo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more question I thought of: If you're not folding AKs to an 11/7 5 bet shove, are you ever folding AK pre flop?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I can although throw my hat here in the ring: I do not think we can assume he 3b here his entire 5% vs your EP opening range. What is his 3b % in MP?

    ReplyDelete
  9. One point I didn't realize was that you're playing 6 players, and you're on BTN. What's your steal %? (I'm not at home, so I can't look you up in the 1k+ hands I have on you :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I suck so much when it comes down to reading unconverted HH... In this sitatuation I have to change my opinion a bit but for me this is still no fist pump call vs a 11/7 (sample size)... but I am just a fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes im certainly folding AKo and AKs a lot to 3bets in general but i think the dynamics change a lot when it is BTN vs BB especially when we add in the fact that the SB flats my open. It screams great squeeze spot, especially for a Russian that used to be a short stack (ie knows squeezing etc). Also as i said above once i 3bet to $18 or 36% of my stack im never folding AK. Sure i will run up against AA, KK and QQ but if its AK v KK im only a 70/30 dog with me needing to call $32 to win $102, giving me 31% equity. Better yet if its QQ then im a 56/44 dog and certainly getting the price. Issue only becomes when i run into AA then im screwed but with card removal i think once i 4bet im always calling it off.

    ReplyDelete