Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Moving Up

After spending a lot of time in the Grind House this summer I realized one thing about my poker game, I was settling. I had become too comfortable and too accustomed to the winnings that I was making at $50nl. Sure I was never setting the house on fire but I was also pretty much guaranteed a winning month at an amount that I deemed acceptable. Well, after seeing the guys in the house and the drive that some of them have I have decided to move up to $100nl and from there, if my game permits, as high as I can.

As many of you are aware, I'm something of a bankroll nit and I've used it as an excuse for not moving up in the past. An excuse is exactly what it was, possibly a deep down fear stashed away that maybe I wasn't good enough for the step up. Well we are about to see whether or not I am good enough. I decided to approach a very well known FR guy who was offering stakes to gauge his interest in a possible deal. Whilst he was keen to work with me, he was looking for people at the $400nl level and didn't want to get involved with people playing smaller games. I respect his decision and am happy that he took the time to review my application.

From there, I was approached by a different staking stable and after coming to terms on a deal that I felt was fair to someone with my track record the deal was sealed. In respecting my staker I wont be naming him or outlining the deal we agreed but I feel that it could be beneficial for both parties. He is new to the staking game and eager to take on new players, so if you are looking for a stake and have a decent track record hit me up and I can introduce you to him.

So what the future holds I dont know but I know I am stepping up to the games eager to show to myself, most importantly, that I am good enough to sit in the game and compete.

8 comments:

  1. It is cool to see you are back to blogging. Best of luck with the move up I am sure you will doing fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move up. I've been taking a few shots [at 100nl] here and there myself, so hopefully I'll see you up there. Quick question: Why is it ever an advantage to you to split your breakeven or winnings at a higher level? It would seem that you easily have the BR to support 100nl; what advantage do you gain by having someone else fund your BR for that level play?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poker Meister - I clearly have the roll to take the shot myself but i think its more about the comfort level. For whatever reason as you can tell I'm never the biggest fan of my own game so it is a confidence issue at times. Being staked enables me to prove to myself that I am good enough to play in those games. Plus the stake deal i got is one that is very good for me and therefore i feel its +ev for me to take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of curiosity, what is your win rate at 50nl?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2.3ptbb over like 1.5 million hands i believe, slight smaller at nl and slightly higher at pl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to be honest - I'm actually surprised that you're very similar to my win rate (over ~400K hands). Do you have any contact with the Belgian reg (Shromi)? I compare the two of your styles as very similar. You ought ask him his thoughts on 100nl. Last I spoke with him about it (on the tables) I got the feeling he tried it and gave up.

    Again, good luck with the move up. I'll be seeing you up there as well... The 100nl is a far more aggro game in my experience than the 50nl game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if i should take suprised as a compliment or not. All i will say in defense of my style is that i hand read better than most nits and therefore play better post flop than most do. Although when i was in Vegas i worked a lot with Ach Ja and Zachvac and sweated them and have taken things from their game that i wasnt doing into mine and the results have been impressive. Is your screen name public?, if it is i certainly dont know it :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah... that was one of the things I didn't want to do was publicize my screen name when I started blogging. My blog (if you've ever seen it before) is basically hand histories... I think it would make my play very exploitable if I start showing my reactions to various hands. Finally, with regards to you, I think we've gotten into it a bit awhile back via chat. For whatever reason, you were not happy with my play and started jawing at me. :-)

    As far as surprise about the bb/100 rate, I figured your rate to be a bit higher than mine because I feel like you (and Shromi) are better players than I. At a minimum, I think you guys are FAR more experienced in hand volume though.

    ReplyDelete